This stuff is DELICIOUS! The marinade is so much fun to make. This is the house favorite around here for southwestern style chicken.
Tip or warning: Don’t try cooking this inside… it MUST be grilled. One time I thought I would just cook it up in a grill pan and man oh man… TEAR GAS! Although not too spicy to eat if not cooked outdoors it will send you screaming outdoors. :D Be prepared to share the recipe, as you will certainly be asked for it.
Tacos Pollo Asado
Makes 6-8 Tacos
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro
- kosher salt
- fresh black pepper
- 2 limes, juice only
- 1 orange, juice only
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chiltepin (dried red chile flakes)
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- corn tortillas
- cotija cheese or sharp cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack (or all three)
- salsa or pico de gallo
- shredded cabbage or lettuce (I prefer lettuce)
- diced tomatoes
- sour cream
- Place garlic, cilantro, salt, pepper in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to make a paste. Scrape paste into a bowl. Add lime juice, orange juice, vinegar and olive oil. Stir until well mixed.
- Crush chiltepin with a mortar and pestle then stir into the marinade.
- Add chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, not too long or the citrus will cook the outside of the chicken similar to ceviche.
- Grill chicken until cooked through. Rest chicken for about 15 minutes. Slice chicken into 1/2 inch thick strips.
- Heat tortillas to soften. To make tacos, prepare taco shells and add two strips of chicken and garnish as desired for each taco.
By: The Kitchen Door