I don’t know what to name this sandwich so I named it “Shrimp and Italian Style Vegetable Focaccia Sandwich” cuz that’s what’s happenin’. I had left over Focaccia bread from our dinner a couple of nights ago (this Focaccia Bread) and I didn’t want it go to waste. I thought about making pizza but decided to go with a sandwich instead. Mmm, am I ever glad I did! The filling is not unlike Ratatouille (if I would have had some eggplant I would likely have thrown that in the pan with the rest of the veggies) but with a decidedly Italian profile.
It is quick and easy to whip up and Mike loved it. I threw some shrimp in the mix because he is completely nutty for shrimp and I aims to please. :)
In my opinion all sandwiches need cheese so I shredded a satisfactory sized mound of mozzarella and that kicked the whole thing up a notch. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Shrimp and Italian Style Vegetable Focaccia Sandwich
- Focaccia bread (or bread of choice)
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 zucchini(s), diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes (fresh or canned), diced
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 2-3 TBS heavy cream
- 1 pound large, raw shrimp (shelled and deveined)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 TBS cornstarch
- 1/2-TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp dry Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in pan until hot and shimmery.
- Add onion and pepper to pan and cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are softened and onions are starting to turn golden.
- Add zucchini and stir to mix. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until zucchini is starting to get soft.
- Add garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes; stir and then add spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted.
- Add cream.
- Stir in Italian Seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Rinse shrimp and dust with cornstarch and salt and pepper. Toss the shrimp to make sure they are well coated.
- In skillet heat additional oil and saute the shrimp until pink (be careful not to overcook).
- Add shrimp to vegetable skillet, heat through on med-low heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted, serve on warm bread.
By: The Kitchen Door